All About the New 2021 Genesis G70
When it debuted for the 2020 model year, the Genesis G70 proved that you can get a true premium sedan without having to pay a luxury-level price for it. The G70 truly delivers more bang for your buck: with its first-rate material and tech, sporty driving character, sleek sheet metal, and outstanding warranty coverage.
Unsurprisingly, the G70 comes into the 2021 model year virtually unchanged. A turbocharged 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine, producing 252 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, still powers the four-door sedan from the hood, and this machine is hitched to an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters. There’s the option of a six-speed manual transmission for a more spirited driving experience, since this gearbox choice is accompanied by Brembo performance brakes for greater stopping ability, a sport exhaust system for enhanced engine performance, and a limited-slip differential for improved traction. Rear-wheel drive is standard for a balanced distribution of weight from front to back (since the engine is placed in the front), as well as the G70’s peak fuel efficiency of 22 mpg in the city and 30 mpg on the highway. Genesis offers the choice of an all-wheel drivetrain, though, for better performance on slippery surfaces. (Note that getting the six-speed manual eliminates the choice of an all-wheel-drive system.) In addition, there’s the option of a larger and more powerful twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V6, which produces 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque. Complete with a sport-tuned suspension and a dual exhaust system, this V6 truly maximizes the sport orientation of the vehicle.
The 2021 G70 provides two rows of synthetic leather seats to accommodate up to five people. The front has heating ability and consists of a 12-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and an eight-way power-adjustable front passenger seat, with automatic climate controls facing both sides to enable adjustment of heating and cooling controls. Going with the six-speed manual transmission adds front-seat ventilation, and V6-powered models also have heating ability on the steering wheel. For secure entry, the G70 comes with a smart key system to enable door unlocking by having the key fob on you. Infotainment consists of the following:
• Six speakers
• AM/FM radio with HD Radio technology
• Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free phone system and audio streaming
• Two USB ports for playing content from or charging mobile devices
• Android Auto and Apple CarPlay smartphone integration
• Trial subscription to SiriusXM Radio
• Eight-inch touchscreen
If you go with the V6-loaded model, the six-speaker setup is replaced by a 15-speaker 660-watt Lexicon surround-sound system, and there’s a charging pad introduced for wireless charging of mobile devices. The G70 is loaded with driver-assistance features that include the following:
• Adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go technology for automatically setting a safe following distance
• Rearview camera for parking guidance or low-speed reverse-driving
• Automatic high-beam headlights for low-visibility driving situations
• Forward collision warning to help avoid front-end collisions
• Automatic emergency braking for stopping power when needed to avoid accidents
• Pedestrian detection to help prevent accidents involving pedestrians
• Driver attention monitor to suggest taking a break when inattentive driving behavior is detected
• Blind spot warning to watch out for your blind spots and avoid side crashes
• Rear cross-traffic alert to watch out for fellow motorists or pedestrians crossing the path behind you when backing out of somewhere
• Lane keep assist to use steering power to get you back on the intended lane of travel
A six-airbag system—two frontal impact airbags, two side impact airbags, and two side curtain airbags—provides crash protection. Notably, with the V6 model, you can add either the Prestige package or the Sport package. The former comes with heated rear seats, upgraded leather upholstery, a head-up display, a surround-view parking camera system, and a power trunk lid. The latter includes an electronically controlled suspension, a dark-finished chrome grille, copper-colored headlight accents, and dark tint taillight covers.
Are you in the Orlando area? Come check out the 2021 G70 at our dealership in Orlando. One of our Genesis experts will be available to assist you.